Collaborate With Us | The Social Media Lab has a strong tradition of collaboration. As an internationally engaged research lab, our Visiting Scholar Program (VSP) hosts a diverse range of outstanding multidisciplinary scholars from around the world. The program provides a visiting scholar/professor with an opportunity to further their own research as well as collaborate with the Lab on a joint research project.
During the program (1-6 months), the visiting scholar will be an active participant in the research life of the lab and will have access to our international network of experts and our suite of social media data analytics tools. The visiting scholar will also have the chance to explore Toronto – Canada’s largest and most multicultural city.
Who Can Apply?
All applicants must be qualified scholars/professors holding a continuing appointment at an accredited academic or research institution with established expertise in an area of research relevant to the Social Media Lab. Please note: as defined by Ryerson University, the visiting scholar is ‘non-status’, meaning an unpaid academic designation.
When and How Do I Apply?
CFP will be available in Early 2019. Please send inquiries to email@example.com
To apply, please:
- Complete the Visiting Scholar Program Application Form (embed on this page). If you don’t see it, follow this link.
- Email a copy of your current CV, including a list of publications, a letter of support from your home institution or proof of your academic appointment to firstname.lastname@example.org
Summary of the Information Needed to Complete the Application Form
The Application Form will ask you to briefly outline a short-term joint research project that you can start prior to your visit and complete while at the Lab or shortly after your visit. Here are a few of the items that you will need to provide on the Application Form:
- Propose a start/end date for your visit (1-6 months) for your visit to the Social Media Lab between Nov 1, 2017 – December 30, 2018. If you are selected, we will work with you to find an appropriate start and end date.
- Outline of the research objectives*
- Research question(s)*
- Originality of the proposed research
- Have you done any previous work in this area; if yes, please describe.
- How do you see the Social Media Lab contributing to the project? (e.g., help with the data collection, analysis, etc). Please be specific.
- (Must relate to the one of the four areas associated with the 2017-2018 Research Theme outlined above.)
It is expected that the visiting scholar/professor will spend a minimum of 1 month (up to six months) in Toronto during which time they will participate in research meetings and events hosted by the Lab, give 1 talk about their research to the Ryerson community, and produce a joint research paper based on the collaborative project outlined in your application.
Funding and other accommodation
The Lab has two funded and six self-funded openings for the Visiting Scholar Program.
For the two funded positions, up to CAD$4,000 will be provided for travel and lodging related expenses in Toronto. (It is recommended that the visiting scholar secures some additional external funding to support their research and any travel expenses over CAD$4,000.)
The visiting scholar will be given a desk in a shared space at the Lab with a desktop computer, along with internet and online library access.
All international visiting scholars must obtain a visa and/or work permit. As requirements depend on the country of origin, please refer to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study.asp for more information. If selected for the Visiting Scholar Program, the University will issue a visa invitation letter.