2016 Social Media Lab Visiting Scholars
The Ryerson Social Media Lab at Ted Rogers School of Management is pleased to announce the the appointment of five leading and emerging social media researchers as Visiting Scholars for 2016. The recipients were selected for this award through a competitive process. During their time in residence, the Visiting Scholars will have an opportunity to further their own research, as well as develop and complete a collaborative research project with members of the Lab. The scholars will also be invited to join ongoing research discussions at the Lab and will be connected to the Lab’s international network of social media researchers. To learn more about this year’s cohort, please follow the links below.
We wish to congratulate the following recipients:
- Bree McEwanVisiting Scholar 2017Bree McEwan, Assistant Professor, Communication, DePaul University, USA
- K. Hazel KwonVisiting Scholar 2016Assistant Professor, School of Social & Behavioral Sciences and in-coming Faculty at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication | Arizona State University, USA | Project: Swearing Contagion in Social Read More.
- Celine Yunya SongVisiting Scholar 2016Assistant Professor, Department of Journalism, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong | Project: A Longitudinal Study of Discussion Networks on Weibo: Polarized Opinions on Genetically-Modified Food
- Mark KleinVisiting Scholar 2016Principal Research Scientist, MIT Center for Collective Intelligence; Research Scientist, University of Zurich | Project: Using Crowd-Sourced Deliberation Mapping to Enable More Powerful Social Media Analytics
- Staci ZavattaroVisiting Scholar 2016Associate Professor, College of Health and Public Affairs, University of Central Florida, USA | Project: University Use of Social Media: Communicating the Brand Identity
- Irfan ChaudhryVisiting Scholar 2016PhD student Dept. of Sociology, University of Alberta | Instructor, MacEwan University, Edmonton, Canada | PROJECT: #HateOnline: Using social media to examine discourses of racism and xenophobia online
- Melodie Yun-Ju SongVisiting Scholar 2016Melodie Yun-Ju Song, MSc, BSN, RN, is a PhD candidate in Health Policy at McMaster University | Project: Is medium the message? An exploratory analysis to explicate difference in vaccine sentiment Read More.
About the Social Media Lab Visiting Scholars Program
The Visiting Scholar Program at the Ted Rogers School of Management at Ryerson University provides a unique opportunity for scholars to further their own research, as well as develop and complete a collaborative research project with members of the Lab. The program is an important part of the Lab’s effort to analyze and understand how social media is changing the ways in which people communicate and disseminate information and how these changes impact the social, economic and political structures of modern society.
The Visiting Scholar Program runs biennially and will be accepting application once again in Sept 2017. Please click here for more information about the Program and how to apply.